r16 air cleaner assembly wing nuts/bolts

Since the old single thread was getting too long again. Creating a new forum where you can ask your questions and if you get them answered -please indicate the issue was resolved or not.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

leonhart
Roadster Fanatic

r16 air cleaner assembly wing nuts/bolts

Post by leonhart »

Are the bolts (the ones that the wing nuts attach to to hold the cover) replaceable?

Mine are stripped, and the bolts themselves turn around a lot in their little "housing" - looks like maybe they were tack welded and the weld came undone? I'd just try to re-tack it, but since the threads are also stripped in places, just checking to see if there's an easy way to replace them, or if I need a new assembly.
1967 Datsun Roadster 1600 - 1.6L - 4 speed manual
2000 Toyota Celica GTS - 1.8L - 6 speed manual
2013 Scion FR-S - 2.0L - 6 speed manual
devo
Roadsteraholic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Re: r16 air cleaner assembly wing nuts/bolts

Post by devo »

leonhart wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:04 pm Are the bolts (the ones that the wing nuts attach to to hold the cover) replaceable?

Mine are stripped, and the bolts themselves turn around a lot in their little "housing" - looks like maybe they were tack welded and the weld came undone? I'd just try to re-tack it, but since the threads are also stripped in places, just checking to see if there's an easy way to replace them, or if I need a new assembly.

You can replace them. I went to the hardware store and got replacement bolts. I cut out the old, stripped studs and welded the new in their place. I used slightly longer bolts so that I can run the reusable Spectre air filter listed in the Techwiki. Works perfectly.
ppeters914
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by ppeters914 »

Anyone come up with another or better idea for stripped bolts? I don't have a welder nor do I play a welder on TV.

Thanks.
Pete
-------------------------------------
'67 1600 - frame off started in 2014. Now I know why roadster projects take so long. What a stupid idea. :smt021
'66 1600 - parts car
'66 WPL411 ***SOLD***
A couple of Porsches, a RAV4 Hybrid, and a motorcycle
GeoffM

Post by GeoffM »

Just arm-chairing a solution…but you could cut the stud short, clean-up the threads with a die, and use a threaded hex coupling to thread on a new chunk of threaded rod.

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/coupl ... d+coupling
Geoff
1969 SPL-311
ppeters914

Post by ppeters914 »

GeoffM wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2024 5:21 pm Just arm-chairing a solution…but you could cut the stud short, clean-up the threads with a die, and use a threaded hex coupling to thread on a new chunk of threaded rod.

Nice thought, but most of the thread extends past the air filter cover. The cover would not slide over the coupling nut. It also doesn't solve the problem of the bolt spinning.
Pete
'67 1600 - frame off started in 2014. Now I know why roadster projects take so long. What a stupid idea. :smt021
'66 1600 - parts car
'66 WPL411 ***SOLD***
GeoffM

Post by GeoffM »

ppeters914 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2024 5:37 pm
GeoffM wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2024 5:21 pm Just arm-chairing a solution…but you could cut the stud short, clean-up the threads with a die, and use a threaded hex coupling to thread on a new chunk of threaded rod.

Nice thought, but most of the thread extends past the air filter cover. The cover would not slide over the coupling nut. It also doesn't solve the problem of the bolt spinning.
I couldn’t remember how long the stud was. But thinking more about it, yeah.
Geoff
1969 SPL-311
Stick
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Stick »

Dis regard if mentioned, but I didn't see any mention of just trying to repair what you have rather than replacing....Wouldn't the easiest solution be just re-tapping the threads on the bolts and nuts? Are the threads on the rod that far gone? I have been able to revive a number of bolts, nuts and threaded holes along the way without having to replace the original hardware.
Greg McCarty
1969 SRL311 07324
ppeters914

Post by ppeters914 »

Stick wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 6:08 am Dis regard if mentioned, but I didn't see any mention of just trying to repair what you have rather than replacing....Wouldn't the easiest solution be just re-tapping the threads on the bolts and nuts? Are the threads on the rod that far gone? I have been able to revive a number of bolts, nuts and threaded holes along the way without having to replace the original hardware.
The problem is not just the threads. The bolt heads have become rounded or something, which allows the bolt to spin. This makes it near impossible to fix the threads and/or screw on the wingnuts.
Pete
'66 1600 - parts car
'66 WPL411 ***SOLD***