Tips on how to remove grease cups

Place to put those little tricks or parts you used during the restoration of your roadster.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

norgebe91
Roadster Newby

Tips on how to remove grease cups

Post by norgebe91 »

Does anyone have any good tips or tricks to remove the grease cups from the front lower suspension. I am having a ridiculously terrible time trying to get them off! And they aren't even that rusted!

Thanks!
pebbles
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: Tips on how to remove grease cups

Post by pebbles »

The knuckle has a little cog on it. Remove the cotter pin, remove the nut, apply inward pressure with a pickle fork and smack the cog with a medium sized hammer. (Sorry Tom). Shocking the joint will make it pop.
If you are replacing the ball joint boots, leave the nut on about 4-5 threads. No pickle fork required, the coil spring will induce enough pressure to seperate the joint. The nut will act as a stop. Dont wanna chip a toothy.
David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."
Curtis
Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Curtis »

norgebe91 wrote:Does anyone have any good tips or tricks to remove the grease cups from the front lower suspension. I am having a ridiculously terrible time trying to get them off! And they aren't even that rusted!

Thanks!
Are you talking about the caps on the end of the lower spindle arm? The spindle arm bolts to the frame and has two side pieces which help form the lower A arm. If so the end caps which should have a zerk fitting are very difficult to remove. I use an impact wrench on mine.
66 stroker, almost done.
67 basket case, paint coming soon.
garth
Roadster Enthusiast
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by garth »

Curtis wrote:
norgebe91 wrote:Does anyone have any good tips or tricks to remove the grease cups from the front lower suspension. I am having a ridiculously terrible time trying to get them off! And they aren't even that rusted!

Thanks!
Are you talking about the caps on the end of the lower spindle arm? The spindle arm bolts to the frame and has two side pieces which help form the lower A arm. If so the end caps which should have a zerk fitting are very difficult to remove. I use an impact wrench on mine.
Curtis is underestimating the effort! They are very (insert you own adjective) difficult to remove. I took mine off 10 years ago with a 1" socket set and a 4 foot breaker bar. Probably took 800-900 ft-lbs of torque to crack them. Not doing that again.
Garth
_________
68' 2000
Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

garth wrote:
Curtis wrote:

Thanks!
Curtis is underestimating the effort! They are very (insert you own adjective) difficult to remove. I took mine off 10 years ago with a 1" socket set and a 4 foot breaker bar. Probably took 800-900 ft-lbs of torque to crack them. Not doing that again.
Nope, not underestimating. I pounded it off with the impact wrench. I didn't have anything around to use as a giant breaker bar and frankly I didn't want to. I let air do the work for me.

Probably the one of the biggest PITA on the car. I'd almost rather do anything else on the car, or at least until I start doing it and then complain about that.
66 stroker, almost done.
Mainer311
Roadsteraholic

Post by Mainer311 »

Curtis wrote:
garth wrote:
Curtis wrote:I'd almost rather do anything else on the car
Like changing out the dash bulbs on a high windshield car?
Jordan
1968 SPL311-21773. Needs paint and some upholstery.
2012 Xterra Pro-4X, 4" lift on 34's, UCA's, pre-runner bumper. Member of the New England Xterra Off-road club.
1971 PL521, Dragon green. Stock L16 w/ 4 speed, lowered 3".
norgebe91
Roadster Newby

Post by norgebe91 »

Thanks Curtis and Garth, i am talking about the grease cups on the lower arms.

I was worried about using the an impact gun on them, and had kind of thrown that idea out the window for fear of messing up those threads! But if ya'll have used an impact, or just a huge breaker bar without messing them up. I guess i'll try that!

It's seriously a PITA......but it needs to be done. Thanks for the ideas!!
msampsel
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by msampsel »

I used a pipe on my breaker bar to "cheat" (about 3 -3.5 ft) to get mine off.
I remember my bench with the vice on wanted to tip over, but they finally came off. They are only torqued to about 180 ft lbs IIRC, so add another 100 or so for stiction and 100 for a wee bit of rust say 380. So get ready for 130 lbs of force at three feet. Although an impact wrench is cheating.
67 1600 (Mods only a mother could love)
78 911 SC Targa (Severe Oversteer but still loved)
Curtis
Site Supporter

Post by Curtis »

msampsel wrote:I used a pipe on my breaker bar to "cheat" (about 3 -3.5 ft) to get mine off.
I remember my bench with the vice on wanted to tip over, but they finally came off. They are only torqued to about 180 ft lbs IIRC, so add another 100 or so for stiction and 100 for a wee bit of rust say 380. So get ready for 130 lbs of force at three feet. Although an impact wrench is cheating.
An impact wrench is smart for old guys that don't want hurt them self.
66 stroker, almost done.
Cyclewrks
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Cyclewrks »

Impact wrench wouldn't budge the lowers on mine (made short work of the uppers though), wound up having to use a 4' cheater on a 26" breaker bar to finally get them loose.
"Life is not a journey to the grave intent to arrive safely in a pretty, well preserved body-but rather arriving in a broadside skid, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Damn, what a friggin ride!"- Anon
'70 1600
Phred58
Vendor-Site Supporter
Model: 2000

Post by Phred58 »

From an old plumber, a 36" pipe wrench (made for up to 3" pipe / fittings) or even a 48" pipe wrench (for up to 4") made pretty quick work of breaking them loose for me - "them" being the lower a-arm bushings which is what the thread seems to be about?? Just had to make sure I didn't wrench the car off the jack stands when I was doing it though.
68 SRL311-05416
68 SRL311-03507 (currently undergoing restoration)
67.5 SPL311-12278 - big parts off to scrap, small stuff in buckets
www.datsun-roadster-parts.com