Distributor oil line

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

esmeby

Distributor oil line

Post by esmeby »

I finally found out where my oil leak was from (the big one) after I cleaned my motor a bit. It is comming from the oil line that feeds the distributor. Where the hard line meets the flex hose. I have seen the price of a replacement is about $80, and I was wondering if anyone has ever built one from scratch- and was it worth the hassle? I have a Pegasus Racing catalog and they have a bunch of fittings and lines that I think I could build it out of for considerably less. Anyone try it?
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

RE:Oil Line

Post by S Allen »

I have seen them repaired with everything from plastic oil line to copper. You should be able to build your own with the right fittings. I am not sure they make stainless tubing that small but that would be good to use. I am pretty sure it is close to 1/8" tubing. Double check before you order up some parts. Yeah, that would be a pretty good leak especailly at higher RPMS when the oil pressure is up. :shock:

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
Minh
Roadsteraholic

Post by Minh »

Seeing that I might have to this myself because mine kinda wiggles at that very same location. I won't know for sure until I try to crank her over for the 1st time.

I can only suggest what I have been giving some thought about the last 3 days.

I can say this... Do not throw away the fittings on opposite ends of the currnt hose you have right now. You can actually reuse them to fabricate a new hose.

First you need create matching flared ends on two short pieces of pipe.
Second slide the old fitting back to the correct flared ends.
Third buy some compress hose fitting reattched the ends of the new pipes.

These are my untested thoughts. If anyone can clean up PLEASE do! :)
'69 1982cc SU
'74 1600cc VW Bug
http://www.311s.org/registry/1969/srl311-07837.html
When life hands you lemons, ask for TEQUILA AND SALT!
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

If you have extra 2000 oil feed hoses for the distributor, you can send them to me. I need one! That having been said, there are a couple of good solutions. First, contact an industrial hydraulic hose fabrication company. They can take the old hose, remove the flex part and install a new flex part and you are done. The price should not be bad, but finding the company can be a trick. The second tip is much easier. Depending on the year engine, you can fabricate a copper or steel line to go there, or find a junked 1600. Get the distributor mount and the hard line for it. It is a bolt on and will not leak at the flex joint - because there is not one!

Have fun, y'all!!
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...