Rust,rust and more rust!

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Sloloco

Rust,rust and more rust!

Post by Sloloco »

Well, still taking the car apart with all this spare time I have. I wish I had a digital camera to share my horrific discoveries! I pulled the gas tank and after draining some rusty gas out, I turned it upside down and dumped over 2 cups of rusty metal remains. The sending unit was covered in rust barnacles as well. After that excitement I decided to check out the “new radiator� after draining less than 1 gallon out guess what!!? Rusty water. The more I dig the more upset I become. I should have not bought off eBay and should have asked more questions. With what I spent for this I could have gotten one in twice as nice condition for about the same amount! Don’t forget the rusted out floor sections I found! The one side big enough to stick you feet threw like Barney Rubble! Does anyone sell replacement sending units? :evil: :cry:
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

I don't know which car you bought or how much you spent, but it sounds like you have some fun on your hands. The radiator may in fact be new - with no antifreeze in the mix, the water will rust in a hurry.

Get the tank boiled and coated. It will be fine. If the sending unit can be cleaned up, it may be OK. Check it with a volt/ohm meter. If it is shot, the vendors can square you away.

Don't give up!!
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
Sloloco

Post by Sloloco »

No chance of giving up now! This project has become my motivation. The more I work on it, the more I want to make it come back to life! :lol:
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

FUn Fun and more Fun

Post by SLOroadster »

Lance,
I want to see this thing. I have some spare time, lets get this thing back on the road.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
Datsa 66

Post by Datsa 66 »

Lance,

If it is any consolation/motivation fo you, the first time I saw my 67.5 2000, it had been sitting outside in the weather in a junkyard for five years. It was surrounded by garbage, had a rusted out trunk floor where some moron had stored a battery that exploded, and there was no interior at all and it was missing trim parts. The engine would crank but not fire and the braking system was gone.

Four years later it is almost completely restored. Get help from your friends, save your money and plan to have many hours of frustration that will eventually lead to absolute joy the first time you take it out on the road with your friends cheering you on.

It's worth it.

Andrew Murphy
1967.5 2000 Solex
SRL311-00489
Minh
Roadsteraholic

Post by Minh »

Sloloco wrote:No chance of giving up now! This project has become my motivation. The more I work on it, the more I want to make it come back to life! :lol:
Yeah that happens to a lot of us. If misery loves company you've come to the right place...

We try to make the misery a bit more entertaining since we all relate and laugh at each other.
'69 1982cc SU
'74 1600cc VW Bug
http://www.311s.org/registry/1969/srl311-07837.html
When life hands you lemons, ask for TEQUILA AND SALT!
TR

Post by TR »

Hey Lance, Keep your head up! Purchasing any old car you would find a lot of the maladies you have described. If you had scrutinized a bunch of cars you would have seen the same types of things...

It is just part of the fun of restoring an old car...Above all, have fun with it! TR