Console interior fabric lining pattern

Place to put those little tricks or parts you used during the restoration of your roadster.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

guyatou
Roadster Fanatic

Console interior fabric lining pattern

Post by guyatou »

I just put new black felt in the interior of the console of my high-windshield Roadster. I made a rough pattern in case someone else could use it in the future. Not sure if anybody's posted this before or not.

The pattern isn't perfect, but the fabric looks pretty good in the console. Most of the imperfections are hidden by the lock/light. The sides could be brought up about 1/4 inch on both sides. (The bottom of the console isn't flat, it bows slightly down at the middle. I'm not fancy enough to adjust for this in the pattern.)

I think it turned out pretty good, especially since it took about $1 worth of fabric from Walmart. And I'll use the Super 77 spray elsewhere, likely to hold gaskets in the air cleaner and heater. (Supposedly it can be used on water pump gaskets, too!)

I painted my console with engine paint or wheel paint, I can't remember which.

This is the pattern I made. You may be able to download the full size image and get the dimensions off it. Use them as a guide, I wasn't super accurate in my fabric cutting, and I made the template from the piece that went into the console.

This is what the fabric looks like before it goes in.

Mask the sides, and spray just the bottom with Scotch Super 77. It will be easier to adjust the fabric if it's only sticking to one surface at a time.

Insert the fabric, adjust it front to back. Pay special attention to the area under the lock/light. Once it's in, lay down one of the sides...

...and spray the area behind it. Then make sure the fabric is smooth all the way across. You have a few seconds before it gets really tacky.

The finished product.
Michael D.
Oklahoma City
1968 SRL-311
1930 Model A Ford
insta: @downesphoto
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Re: Console interior fabric lining pattern

Post by notoptoy »

Looks great, and I am sure the pattern will come in handy for others.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
Acegigurn
Roadster Newby

Post by Acegigurn »

Speaking of the console. I took my latch off and didn't pay close attention to the proper order of all of the parts. Any schematics, or pictures out there that you may know of?
70 2000 SRL3113284
68 2000 previously for over 16 years
2018 F -150 Lariet Sport 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost
2019 Ford Edge ST 2.7 ltr twin turbo (335 hp /380lb-ft torque)
2012 Nissan Altima
2000 BMW M Roadster
1968 Camaro SS convertible 396ci big block
Vinnyz
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Vinnyz »

Acegigurn wrote:Speaking of the console. I took my latch off and didn't pay close attention to the proper order of all of the parts. Any schematics, or pictures out there that you may know of?
If it is the original armrest cover it will be made of folded steel and have welded nuts for the latch and hinge.

By the way.....does anyone know what the proper material IS for the liner of the console? Both of mine have a fine velvet black material glued in. Is that original? 69-70'.
73' Datsun 240-Z turbo
70' Datsun SRL-311-1374-SR20det 6 speed
69' Datsun SRL-311-12334-Solex 44 w/B cam
07' BMW Z4 coupe-Daily
Nissanman
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Nissanman »

Yes I think black felt is the go. It is what I had to clean off my console so that is what I used to reline it.
Talking of patterns, I have one for the SP310 and probably early SP311 which is a one piece wrap around cover for the external sides of the centre console.
The join is in the centre of the rear face by the parcel shelf: -
Centre console external pattern.jpg
image.jpg
image(1).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nissanman, just trying to help.
1965 SP310 Engine No. G-93326 Car No. SP310-10817
https://photos.shutterfly.com/album/60141836519
On the road again!
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

Nice!
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG