Please join me in welcoming a new member to the family!

Z car, 210, 510, 521, 621,721 pickups and any thing in between.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Should I get a '73 620 KingKabPU (AKA Lil' Hustler)???

Poll ended at Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:19 pm

I'm sick in the head
27%
It's the obvious thing to do
36%
They're going to lock me up
No votes
My wife will make me sleep in the garage...
36%

Total votes: 11

TR

Post by TR »

Steve, that is awesome!

And I found Schluderm has the fuel sender for a very reasonable price!

Even better news, the seller agreed to refund a portion of the purchase price due to items wrong with the car that he did not list!

I am feeling much better about my new Z, even though it will require a day+ to get the new clutch installed! TR
dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dbrick »

First things first, paint it orange. Three Datsuns are cool enough, but 3 matching cars is BIG style points. It makes no financial sense, but who said cool was easy?

Is the clutch a big deal to change on a Z?

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
TR

Post by TR »

The straight 6 is a bit heavy and long, but other than that, a well prepared bit of work can have it out and back in (correctly) in one day...

I was thinking the same thing, it has to return to its original orange. It has been red and then white over the stock orange.

I'm also thinking that all three need slotted mags!
dbrick

Post by dbrick »

I drove out to Lancaster PA for my slots, worth the trip, only wheels I like on a roadster that I can afford. The old western turbine/cyclones are nice on a Z, especially if you paint the rough part between the spokes body color. Can you sneak the trans out without pulling the motor, or too much structure in the way?

Don't know if this applies, but is interesting. On a Jag XKE they found that if you cut a narrow slot about 6 inches long in the trans tunnel behind the shifter you could slide the trans back far enough to wiggle it out. On an XKE, would save 6-8 hours of work. They just pop riveted a strip of steel over it and the interior trim covered the patch.

Dave Brisco

66 2000 The Bobster
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
TR

Post by TR »

Dunno about getting all of the bolts out with the engine in place. Given the small number of connections (wires, fuel lines, etc.) it is an easy enough job to pull everything out. I replaced a flexplate on a 620 once by just sliding the engine forward and the tranny back. Vowed that I would never do that again, so I guess it must come out...
dbrick

Post by dbrick »

I knw the feeling, I changed a piston and cylinder head on an X-1/9 with the engine in the car, possible, not highly reccomended.

Anyway you can paint the engine compartment while you are in there....Orange???

Dave Brisco

66 2000 The Bobster
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
TR

Post by TR »

I need to do some rust repair under the battery, too. So I could do all of that, but I really should concentrate on the 510 for the near future.

So if the clutch grenades, I'll do a one day swap on it. Once the 510 is running, I'll go back and spend more time on it...
SER240Z
Roadster Fanatic

Post by SER240Z »

You can reach all the bolts to remove the trans with the engine in, I've dropped mine twice. But it tis a good time to do some of the other work if you pull the motor.

Scott
Import_sounds-of-mid-GA

Post by Import_sounds-of-mid-GA »

TR wrote:
I'm also thinking that all three need slotted mags!

I have a set im not too attached to!! 2 rims with new falken Azenis'
TR

Post by TR »

I have been thinking that the new American Racing Ansen is at such a great price, that I may buy my first set of new wheels! No more used stuff for me! TR