Main Pully/Harmonic Balancer repair

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Minh
Roadsteraholic

Main Pully/Harmonic Balancer repair

Post by Minh »

I am finally down to the main pully or harmonic balancer.

Mine is off somehow. Apparently the darn thing has bottomed hitting the timing marker on the front cover. I was told I can try to salvage it by carefullly pressing the thing back to it original flush position if I don't damage the rubber.

This pulley is the only only I got, so I don't want to go get another one if I can avoid it.

They are irreplaceable too. Best I can do is get a used one, but that will depend on if I can fix the one I got.

Has anyone successfully done this? If so, how did you go about doing it?

I found a place online that will rebuild it better than new using modern materials, but he is asking $90 including retun shipping with a 3 day turnaround.
http://dalemfg.com/dale_010.htm

If it takes him 3 days, there has to a be kit or technique I am unaware of.

Geez, one last part to go and a torque and this baby going in the engine compartment.
'69 1982cc SU
'74 1600cc VW Bug
http://www.311s.org/registry/1969/srl311-07837.html
When life hands you lemons, ask for TEQUILA AND SALT!
kogi
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by kogi »

minh,
i bought a rebuilt hb from cdm for about that price. at this point, it is not worth cutting corners - to try to save couple of bucks... trust me :roll: ... doing it right the first time will save you many head and heart aches :shock:

good luck...

been there... done that...
ken
66 spl311
san marcos, ca
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

H.B.

Post by SLOroadster »

If you pull the thing off, you should be able to reset it. I pulled mine with no problem. You need a really big extractor to do it. To replace it, just place it on the crank and set it by torque ( I can't remember the exact spec to torque it to.)

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
oilleak

Front pulley

Post by oilleak »

that's a pretty common failure on the U20. You'll need to fix it, just pressing it back together is a short term fix. You could weld the outer part to the hub - it's been done - but you'd better make sure that it's oriented to TDC correctly before doing that. Best to have it fixed right now and not worry about it again for a decade.
311TONY423

Post by 311TONY423 »

THERE ARE A COUPLE ON EBAY RIGHT NOW. ENDS 8/17/03 18:04:06
CHEKTOT...
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

H.B

Post by SLOroadster »

I think I missunderstood the question. It sounded like he was just trying to remove the thing.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!