Braking distance for 311, common?

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

bespa

Braking distance for 311, common?

Post by bespa »

Nice day like this, hooky rate or sick calls must be up for some companies. How many times do you usually call it sick, but end up
playing with your car?

Ok, the brake question: since I'm still pretty new, I was wondering
if the braking distance for these roadster is that long. I start to brake about 100+ yards before a stop sign in a residential 20-35 mph zone. And there's no tailgating on the highway of course.
I was told from the previous owner that "it's like this for the roadster." Upon some recommendation, I bled the brakes, and
it's still pretty much the same. Anyone? Thanks.
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Braking distance

Post by SLOroadster »

Roadsters will stop really well IF the brakes are set up correctly. The disks are large, and the drums are finned aluminum. With a set of PORTERFIELD pads up front and the Nissan shoes they stop really well. If your fire wall is cracked below the master cylinder (yours most likely is, almost all of them are.) You can get a brace that fits under the dash that makes a huge difference. If your car doesn't stop well, start looking into some of these things. I couldn't tell you any exact distances, but it should be about the same as a modern car.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
bespa

Nice to know that Roads have good brakes

Post by bespa »

Thanks a lot. My car does have that bracket at the fire wall.
There are two brake cylinders. Fluid was dark, so I flushed it
at Midas last weekend. Still, my brake habit has certainly changed
driving this car. I have to look into it more. Any suggestion will
help.
Ldino21
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Ldino21 »

Also take a look at your Clevis Pin that attaches the Master Cylinder to the Pedal, years and years of braking can wear these pins raw, Both my pins on my Clutch MC and my Brake MC from my 69 had grooves worn into them from so much use, also look at the hole that the Pin goes into this wears out with time also, you end up with an oval shaped hole.

Another thing is, you could be in for a new Brake MC, they do wear out, there are rebuild kits out there, but unless you know what your doing I wouldn't try it myself.

Lou Smaldino
Fresno, CA
66-1600
67-2000