Problem Getting Fuel to Carbuerators ?

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Illinois Roadster Owner

Problem Getting Fuel to Carbuerators ?

Post by Illinois Roadster Owner »

I have a 1969 SPL311 1600 Roadster that I have been having a problem getting fuel from tank to carbuerators ! I've had the tank cleaned replaced fuel lines and then installed a new fuel pump but still no gas to carbuerators ! I'm wondering if their might be a camshaft lobe problem ! I'm open for any suggestions !!! HELP HELP !!! THANKS DON !!!!!!
TR

Post by TR »

Some easy checks, you've probably done a few of these...Most of them taste bad or have the chance of spraying fuel, so be very careful!

Starting from the tank, suck on the feed line, no mouthful (and coughing)=no good. Also, make sure you have the right gas cap-Putting a closed system cap on a system that requires a breather really slows the flow. Simple check-remove the cap and retest.

Check at the input to the main fuel filter for fuel flow (I think the line from the tank should go to the filter first, then the pump. I have seen it the other way, but my thinking is that if a plastic filter before the pump leaks, the car stalls. If a filter after the pump leaks, the engine bay fills with gas).

Next check the input to the fuel pump with the same method...

If you have gas to the fuel pump inlet, place a long hose on the outlet and into a gas can. Crank the engine and ensure gas is pumped into the can. Nothing? Try reversing the inlet and outlet hoses (I've seen it before!). Still nothing? Remove the fuel pump and actuate it by hand. If it works, try to see if the cam in the engine is damaged or removed (likely if you are replacing an electric unit). Also, measure the distance the cam travels and ensure that the pump would pump if actuated the same amount.

Next ensure that the plumbing from the pump to the carbs is not adjacent to heat that would cause a vapor lock...

Attach the same long hose to the 'T' that feeds the SU's (assuming you have SU's), crank the engine and ensure that the gas can gets flow...

Inspect the filters (hidden) under the Banjo fittings going into the SU float chambers. Clean or replace.

Ensure the floats are active (you can hold an assembled float cover over a bucket and ensure flow when down, no flow when up).

The last is the hoses from the floats to the needles...

Good luck with it! TR