Rear Axle

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Ivin

Rear Axle

Post by Ivin »

I took the rear axle off my Roadster and it came out very easily. I guess that the good news is that it's not broken.

So here's what happened. When I added my 15" wheels, I noticed that on the passenger side rear, the tire was close to the fender. When I drove, it didn't seem to be a problem so I figured all is okay. After about ~600 miles, as I drove slowly down the street, I heard a rubbing noise and noticed that the tire was just hitting the fender. This could be caused by:
1) spring broke
2) axle broke
3) bearing in axle no good
4) U-bolt that holds the rear end on slipped

Well, since the passenger side rear was rubbing, I figured that it should be the proper side where the axle would be broken. The axle came off very easily. However, it is not broken, actually looks really nice. The bearings also seem to roll smoothly. The U-bolts look intact and the springs look okay.

I attached pictures of the spring and the clearance between the bump stop and chassis (see below) it is ~ 3.5 " I don't know if that is good or bad or maybe the springs are bad.

I also attached a picture that I am concerned about. When I wiped the inner part of the rear end where the axle goes into the rear, there is a gouge in the metal where the bearings sit. Not sure if that is a major problem?? Hope that it's not. When you view the picture, look where the green arrow points.

Any comments are welcome..

http://community.webshots.com/user/ivin100

Sorry for the long post but I am in need of advice.

Thanks,

Ivin
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

RE:Rear Axle

Post by S Allen »

Ivin,

It looks like some PO had a bigger problem than you now have. I would not worry too much about that gouge. The bearing does not rotate on that so it should not cause you any problems. I would be concerned however if the axle had a gouge in it. This is not the case for you.

Another problem with our roadsters is the body could be bolted off center enough to one side to cause your fender rubbing problems. There is a bit of play. What size tires are you running? I know they are 15's but what profile? If you are rubbing on the outside you can take something like an aluminum or wooden bat or a piece of pipe to roll the fender lip up a bit. You may have to jack the car up to get the bat/pipe started and then slowly roll the lip.

Any way, that is my 3 cents on the subject. Good luck!

Steve
Last edited by S Allen on Thu Jul 03, 2003 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
TR

Post by TR »

Hey Ivan and Steve,

The 66's seem to run a bit off center. I have heard this before from other 66 owners. I assumed mine was off center because of a fender bender, but maybe it is just a manufacturing flaw (or character)...

I was curious why my passenger side tire was closer to the fender lip than the drivers side... I measured the frame location with respect to the body, spring perches with respect to the frame, axle location with respect to the springs, etc... It seems that everything is fairly centered and that the sum of "fairly centered" accounts for 1/4" off center. I loosened the body bolts, rear spring mounts and lifted the rear of the body till the tires were unloaded but still touching. Then I used a small bottle jack with a very light touch to push everything over. After I rebolted everything, the car settled about 1/8" off center. (Dang!)

When I get more time I am going to try to justify the axle with respect to the springs, hopefully that will get me centered!

TR
Ivin

Axle/Body Off Center

Post by Ivin »

Hi Guys,

I think that you are correct and perhaps my body has shifted a bit. I'll be checking this out soon. In the meantime, do you know what distance the rubber bumper should be from the chasisis. I am wondering if that would give me an indication of the life on my springs? Mine appears to be ~ 3.5".

Thanks

Ivin

Happy 4th
S Allen
Site Admin

Post by S Allen »

Ivin,

I will measure tonight to see what mine is on the 67.5 stroker. My front end is lowered and I have the eurathane kit in the stock rear leaf springs.

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
Ivin

Axle Issues

Post by Ivin »

Hi Steve,

Thanks for all of the information. To answer some of your questions, I am using Michelin X1 185/65 R 15 on Panasport wheels. Also, I remeasured the clearance between the top of the rubber bumper and my chassis where the bumper would hit and it is a tad less then 3 ".

Since we are on the subject of rear axles, springs and suspension, I looked and found that you can get KYB Shocks for the rear specifically for the Roadser Part # 343136 and Summit stocks them. Anyone ever try these?

Thanks

Ivin
S Allen
Site Admin

Post by S Allen »

Well, I measured mine and from the top of the rubber bump stop to the frame is 1-3/4". So yours sits up alot higher than mine. Those 185/65s should fit with little problems. Several people have ordered the KYBs from Summit. They were the GR2 variety-okay for street use and relatively cheap.

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
Ivin

Axles and Shocks

Post by Ivin »

Thanks Steve. Have a great 4th.
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Shocks

Post by SLOroadster »

KYB also makes the Gas-Ajust ones that will fit the roadster. I am told they are pretty good. I have also heard that Carrara makes something that will work as well. The KONIs are still around you just have to look for them.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!