Scheduled engine transplant

Here can put pictures and write-ups about your roadster or other vehicles.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Chris' '68 resto project

Post by Gregs672000 »

You will need the correct shouldered lug nuts in the proper pitch to use those wheels (which I run). Don't remember the site for them but someone will. I added some wheel spacers in the rear to help fill my non-stock flairs, and had to use longer wheel studs as well as "craiger washers" with standard lug nuts since the shoulder nuts would no longer work. I just pounded the old ones out with a dead blow hammer. I also modified the rear wheels to get rid of the inner lip inside the lug nut hole to allow my lug nuts to pass through the wheel (look in yours, you will see!). You may not have to go through all that with stock flares, but check fitment as they do put some tire under the car.

Also, check those wheels for bends, as they tend to get bent. It took a guy going through 6 sets to find a good pair for me for the front.
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
ChrisS

Re: Scheduled engine transplant

Post by ChrisS »

Thanks Greg. Would I be good with 2" studs/lugs or do they need to be even longer? Would a bend show up as a warp if the rim is laid down on a flat surface?

If anyone knows about a supplier for the proper nut, I would appreciate hearing from them.
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

Chris:
I'd get the local tire shop to spin the rims before you do anything with them to check for warpage. They should do it for cheap. There's a guy in Downtown Winston that is exert at straightening wheels BTW, I'll get you the name if you need it, he's on Brookstown below Grubbs carper. My Impala had 3 warped rims -from NEW! I thought the axle was bent - nope, it was the rims.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

Thanks Tom. Is it Spaugh Motor on 1st (next to Grubbs)? I can't find any auto/wheel repair on that section of Brookstown. If this is right, I'll try to drop them off today.

Also, was one nut away from fuel getting the tank off last night. What with the first aide needed from gashing my palm on the strap, I ran out of time. Hope to drop the tank off for cleaning this afternoon also.

Mods- Is there a way to rename the thread to reflect something like "Chris' '68 resto project" or something?
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

Yes, it's Spaugh, you may want to call him first. I can move the thread to members rides, not sure if I can change the name though.
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

Got the gas tank off- had about 2 cups of coffee colored lacquer in it. Sent it off for "boiling."

The wheel guy that Notoptoy recommended said that he could charge me $20 a wheel to "spin them" and see if each is warped or I could mount them, spin them, and give him the ones that looked warped after doing a line of sight check. First one seems good. The others will have to wait until after the upcoming beach trip.

I'm hiding a tote box full of interior alum. trim and polishing materials in the trailer to work on at the beach. Better to get grief once there than to get the disapproval before we leave. "Honey, it will be a great project for the kids if it rains!" Of course the kids are all in their late teens and twenties and we probably won't see them once we arrive...
cole455
Roadsteraholic

Post by cole455 »

Awesome!!!! I completely missed this thread.... Very cool, will be following- good luck!!
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

Thanks man! Love the car and hope to do her justice.
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

ChrisS wrote:Thanks Greg. Would I be good with 2" studs/lugs or do they need to be even longer? Would a bend show up as a warp if the rim is laid down on a flat surface?

If anyone knows about a supplier for the proper nut, I would appreciate hearing from them.
Sorry, still not sure on the lug nut source... check the wiki maybe?

After you get the wheels checked (man, it seems like if you took them to some tire shop with the idea that you are going to be buying tires they might just spin them for free as a "future customer" service effort) i would do a quick mount to see how they fit in the rear, and imagine a 195/55 or 195/60 14 in there. Then you will be able to tell if you need a spacer. I think I have an inch (I know, not optimum) in there but I have wheel flares on my car so you won't want or need that much (I have a 1/4 in spacer in front to clear my Toyota brake caliper but the front wheels have not been modified i.e shoulder removed so I know you can use a 1/4 in spacer with a standard lug nut length if needed). It is possible that you will be able to use a close to stock length lug nut even with a spacer, but take a close look at the wheel when you mount it up and if using a spacer see how much of the stud comes through. Like I said, I had to drill out the shoulder at the bottom of the hole on the rear wheels only to allow the lug nut to pass through the wheel and into the spacer. If needed, I can pull one out and tell you the length. In the rear I also used "craigar washers", a very thick washer, to help center and shoulder the lug nut against the wheel... they work perfectly. I can send pics if needed.
Also, the Z center caps will not fit on the front. I happened to have these black caps from another set of wheels that worked perfect, but it has been 20yrs since I got them so no help there...

The name "Wheel technologies" seems to come to mind on the lug nut source...? Anyone?
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
cole455
Roadsteraholic

Post by cole455 »

I run 4 spoke libre's or vectors on my z and roadster. I've got some extras laying around, you could try several of those and see which ones fit. Not sure how wide your wheels are, though??? I've been buying correct lug-nuts for "mag style" wheels from old town napa on reynolda rd. They have always had them in stock too.
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

Thanks Greg and Cole. The Old Town NAPA sounds like a convenient place to look for the lug nuts. I might run the wheels out to Discount Tire and see if they will spin them- great idea.
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

Did the crossmember arrive ok?
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon