R&R Dashtop

Place to put those little tricks or parts you used during the restoration of your roadster.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

markjhatch
Roadster Fanatic

R&R Dashtop

Post by markjhatch »

Sorry for monopolizing this forum, but you guys have all the answers!

So about 10 years ago I put a dash cap on my 69. It was one of those late at night jobs, and of course I screwed it up and cracked it as I was putting it on.

Now being too lazy to yank the dash (and a little worried I will never get it back in), I purchased another dash cap.

Has anybody removed a prior dash cap and put a new one? I did use the silicon glue...

Any words of wisdom here?

Mark
69'2000
Previous owner won the car in a poker game in Colorado -- he should have folded while he was ahead...
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Re: R&R Dashtop

Post by notoptoy »

Just grasping at straws here, but a hair dryer and slow gentle pulling bit by bit as the glue softens and loosens? This would take a while, but might work.
2 people with two hairdryers working from each end would be faster...
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
pebbles
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: R&R Dashtop

Post by pebbles »

Silicone should peel off with a slow steady force, without pulling up the OG dash. Unless there was exposed foam, the first time around. The caps are thin however, and may break.
David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."