Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

corey.vixie
Roadster Fanatic
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Re: Altima Vented Rotors

Post by corey.vixie »

mklotz70 wrote:They're $170/pr.....about $110 more than over the counter stock rotors, but, still cheaper than a pair of stock roadster rotors.
Dunno why I posted the Volvo rotors before. Derp.

http://www.r1concepts.com/nissan-altima ... .42055.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

R1 has the cross drilled and slotted for $95 a pair, which is not bad at all, though I don't think I'll be going that route personally.
1967 1600 - R23 stroker with quad Mikuni HSRs
fixitman04
Roadsteraholic

Post by fixitman04 »

well i definitely want a set of bearing spacers and nuts... i want to make my my own caliper spacers as i want to eliminate the wheel spacer if i can. i run a fab/repair shop at work so a couple of pieces of scrap steel bar wont cost anything and i have all the needed tools at my home shop to make them... id make it all at work....but that is a no no.

cost is no problem for me

mklotz70... where do i send you money for the spacers.... i want a set!
67.5 srl-311-00407 u20
desperately looking for a 67.5 body that is rust free... id settle for any low window tub
shifty
Roadster Enthusiast

Post by shifty »

By not machining the hub you can return to stock if wanted.
Leigh Brooks

http://www.shiftco.com - my blog about cars (and stuff)
Latest post: http://www.shiftco.com/radios/the-test-mule/

67.5 SRL-00139 sleeping
67.5 SPL-11481 suspended animation
67.5 SPL-12961 snoring
67.5 SPL-13622 - H20 PWR!
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Post by fj20spl311 »

shifty wrote:By not machining the hub you can return to stock if wanted.
A spacer with a 3" hole will allow you to go back to stock with a cut hub.
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
mklotz70
Roadster Fanatic

Post by mklotz70 »

Cast aluminum wheel spacers are iffy at best. Shifty only used 3mm spacers....anything thicker would start to require longer wheel studs. The machine work on the hubs was over $300 if I remember right. It's reversible for the purist. This will fit stock 14" rims with a very slight amount of clearancing. The other way, even with wheel spacers....not even close.

With rotors, this way will be about $200.

The biggest reason.....shifty wanted to get rid of the wheel spacers. From my end of things, looking at having a potential kit to sell, I didn't want to have to have guys send their hubs to me for machining. That would have cost a lot more than opening up the hole in the rotors.
Don't have to be too bright to be me!
http://www.bluehandsinc.com
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Post by fj20spl311 »

mklotz70 wrote:Thanks :)
Cast aluminum wheel spacers are iffy at best. Shifty only used 3mm spacers....anything thicker would start to require longer wheel studs. The machine work on the hubs was over $300 if I remember right. It's reversible for the purist. This will fit stock 14" rims with a very slight amount of clearancing. The other way, even with wheel spacers....not even close.

With rotors, this way will be about $200.

The biggest reason.....shifty wanted to get rid of the wheel spacers. From my end of things, looking at having a potential kit to sell, I didn't want to have to have guys send their hubs to me for machining. That would have cost a lot more than opening up the hole in the rotors.
For supplying a "kit" the spacer does make since. I only paid 1/2 that to get my hubs cut and that included cutting the hub concentric. I always put longer studs with alloy wheels.

I am very happy to see you are helping our group and my hat off to for your good work.

I am off to make a set of single piston calipers fit. LOL
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
spyder
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 2000
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by spyder »

"Maybe I'll do a run of 4-5 kits and see how well they sell.
I'd like to see $50 deposits."

How complete are these kits? I'm curious about plug n play.
mklotz70
Roadster Fanatic

Post by mklotz70 »

fixitman....pm sent...sorry I didn't see your post here yesterday.

fj20....even if you machine the hub, you will still need to machine the rotors. Cost of machining can vary greatly from what I've seen.....especially manual machining, which is what this requires.

spyder......the "kit" I'm considering should be complete except for tools and calipers. I'm thinking they will have the spindle nuts, cotter pins, bearing spacers, caliper spacers, grade 8 bolts and washers for the calipers, and a set of modified rotors. You'll need to get the calipers, the manifolds for the calipers or drill the holes in them(info online elsewhere).....oh...and the hoses for the calipers. Maybe shifty can double check me on this, but I think that's about it.

I should probably start spewing out the disclaimer stuff about these are for off road only. I'm not an engineer, professional machinist or a shop......just a hobbiest like most of you.....trying to help you guys out a bit because I have some tools that most guys don't...................and of course, to make some play money to pay for my projects :)
Last edited by mklotz70 on Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
mklotz70
Roadster Fanatic

Post by mklotz70 »

hhhhmmm.....I always seem to do this....get a bit of interest generated, then jump right in. I just called and ordered 8 rotors. So, I'm going to have $240 invested in this already......let's see if anyone else gets invested or if I'll be stuck with a bunch of modified rotors! LOL.
Gregs672000
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by Gregs672000 »

Man, this seems like a lot of work compared to my Toyota 4runner conversion using Maxima discs. Granted, you would be better off having a spare set of caliper mounting plates to mess with since one has to modify them by welding on new material and tapping them for bolts, but machining was minimal (cut the diameter of the disc/rotor down to fit the combo inside the wheel better, and reduce its thickness slightly to stock 4runner disc/rotor max thickness), and simply grind out the rotor center (there is a little lip that guides you) so it fits down onto the Roadster hub (located by the lug nuts) and mount (may need flex line adaptors?). This is on 280xz 14inch 6spoke wheels so not sure what else will fit (i.e. stock?). I have to use a 1/4 spacer to keep the wheel from hitting the caliper but could have notched the wheel slightly to clear instead. Using stock Roadster master... 4 piston caliper, vented disc... no fade, works great, seem like they are balanced well. If someone is SUPER interested, I would be willing to remove the set up, send them the caliper mount so they can copy it and fine tune it (it's a one off so I had to shim it slightly to get the rotor/disc to run perfectly in the center) and send it back to me (Roadster is sleeping now, but will wake in the spring so it's got to be back by then!). The 4runner caliper might be a little heavier than some of the calipers out there but they work great and are priced well (Rock auto, 1987 4runner, loaded w/o core $57-90, $46-53 w/ core), rotors are $11-14 bucks each, look at Wagner part # BD60795 pic and you can see the lip you need to grind out. I DO NOT run the inboard dust shield but it has not been an issue. Had these about 3 years and LOVE THEM. Just an FYI!!!

Opps, hope I'm not undermining your efforts guys!
Greg Burrows
'67 2000 #588
Tacoma, WA
fixitman04
Roadsteraholic

Post by fixitman04 »

pm responded to... money sent for the spacers.... id be interested in a set of rotors... but id like crossdrilled if possible as i will be autocrossing my car. i would consider the normal rotors if the price is reasonable. i would make my own spacers for the calipers though as i do not want to run wheel spacers so a little thicker caliper spacer is probably gonna be what i do. i never did like the idea of those cast wheel spacers
67.5 srl-311-00407 u20
desperately looking for a 67.5 body that is rust free... id settle for any low window tub
mklotz70
Roadster Fanatic

Post by mklotz70 »

Greg....Since I'm not a roadster guy, I've got very, very limited info about what's out there. I'd love to see more info/pics on yours....do you have a build thread on here you could post a link for? I'm not going to make enough money at this to be threatened by other options. I've done disc kits for the trucks and 411's for a few years now. I've referred quite a few people to the competition on the truck kits because it was a better option for them. I really enjoy the prototyping and "one off" stuff. I'm much rather have someone else do the production work. Anyway......

Will stock 14" steel wheels fit on your setup?
mklotz70
Roadster Fanatic

Post by mklotz70 »

fixit....pm sent :) Maillady hasn't made it to my house yet, so your box will go out in today's mail. I'm headed out now to pick up 8 rotors at $30ea. I'll set the final machine work cost on them when I see how long it takes me to cut them all.....which may not happen today. First day off graveyard(weekend)....I don't usually like to run the lathe when I'm this tired :)

The 1/8" caliper spacer centers the caliper on the rotor really well. You won't be able to offset it by much....maybe another 1/16"?
fixitman04
Roadsteraholic

Post by fixitman04 »

great! like i said id like to try fiddling with the spacing... if it isnt possible to avoid it isnt.
the panasports ultralites i have are a lot larger inside than the stockers they may fit anyway.

completely understand on the graveyard thing... i usually work 8pm to 8am 5 days a week
67.5 srl-311-00407 u20
shifty
Roadster Enthusiast

Post by shifty »

fixitman04 wrote:pm responded to... money sent for the spacers.... id be interested in a set of rotors... but id like crossdrilled if possible as i will be autocrossing my car. i would consider the normal rotors if the price is reasonable. i would make my own spacers for the calipers though as i do not want to run wheel spacers so a little thicker caliper spacer is probably gonna be what i do. i never did like the idea of those cast wheel spacers
Just to be clear, with Mike's new hub spacer, I was able to eliminate the 3mm wheel spacer that I was using before. For most wheels you will not need a wheel spacer.
Leigh Brooks

http://www.shiftco.com - my blog about cars (and stuff)
Latest post: http://www.shiftco.com/radios/the-test-mule/

67.5 SRL-00139 sleeping
67.5 SPL-11481 suspended animation
67.5 SPL-12961 snoring
67.5 SPL-13622 - H20 PWR!