Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Louder Exhaust

Post by Guest »

I'd like more of a presence on the road amongst the sea of
SUVs.

What are my options for making the exhaust system
a little bit louder??
a deep, throaty sound would be nice too.

Was considering removing the muffler and replacing
it w/ a catalytic convertor and a resonator tip.

Is this a bad idea?

Thanks,
SLOroadster
Roadsteraholic

Loud exhaust

Post by SLOroadster »

I think I can claim that I have one of the loudest roadsters out there so here is what I have.
2" pipe leading into a 18" long (I'm guessing, I really havn't measured) glasspack then running into a Supertrapp muffler/ tip. It has a very distinct sound to it. Everyone at Solvang heard it, to quote Alvin G, "It sounds gnarly". If you want really loud, remove the Supertrapp, and It will get you a ticket. So far every Rice-Burner that has rolled up next to me has decided to go run and hide :twisted: . I like it, and its not too loud while driving down the freeway either. It does have an aggressive snarl to it.

Will
Sorry, I find modern engine swaps revolting. Keep your G, R, or U series in your Roadster!
oilleak

Loud

Post by oilleak »

I used to run a straight 1-3/4" pipe to a Monza twin tip resonator. With the stock exhaust manifold it was loud but too bad - in 15 years no cops ever "inquired" about it. Once I put the header on (and changed over to 2"OD pipe), it was way too loud. I run a dynomax superflow turbo muffler now (don't by a cheapie turbo muffler unless you want to be quiet - they rob lots of HP) out to the same monza twin tip. Still a bit louder than I'd like but it sounds nice. Supertrap's are nice because you can tune them by adding or removing discs to change backpressure and sound levels. I think they sound a little weird compared to a standard muffler but they are a great performance choice. You might want to hear one before you spend the money though as they have a unique sound - I think so anyway. I was very supprised by how much louder a header is than the stock manifold - most of that noise is from under the hood though, not out the back.

Post by Guest »

Will's car did sound gnarly :D
If you want to hear what a U20 with a only header and a flowmaster muffler check my video clips. A stock exhaust(muffler and resonator) with Solexes is also there.
http://rabbit.circa.ufl.edu/gallery/alvin
Ivin

Muffler sound and size

Post by Ivin »

So if I wanted to use a Flowmaster Muffler what would I do. I have a SPL-311 1600 with a header and flex pipe. My header goes into a 1 1/2" stock muffler and that goes to the resonator. How are you guys adding 2" piping? Are you still going through the chassis? Thanks
Minh
Roadsteraholic

Re: Muffler sound and size

Post by Minh »

Ivin wrote:So if I wanted to use a Flowmaster Muffler what would I do. I have a SPL-311 1600 with a header and flex pipe. My header goes into a 1 1/2" stock muffler and that goes to the resonator. How are you guys adding 2" piping? Are you still going through the chassis? Thanks
Your gonna have to pick a Flowmaster (I have a Delta) with a 2" in and 2" out (mine are both in the center). Your gonna have to make sure the vertical dimensions fit too. Then you gotta find a locally pretty good muffler shop that can replace the whole piping from header to tip, ideally through the chassis as it is now.

Now the choice depends on how much. Flowmasters come in different casings from basic to stainless steel. Then you have to choose from kind of pipe from basic to any sort of longer or more durable pipe.

Just be sure you have the insulation underneath the driver seat's carpeting and above the muffler.
'69 1982cc SU
'74 1600cc VW Bug
http://www.311s.org/registry/1969/srl311-07837.html
When life hands you lemons, ask for TEQUILA AND SALT!
oilleak

Installation notes

Post by oilleak »

A couple of notes. You ought to check with a short piece of pipe first - 2" ID (inside diameter) will be really tight if it fits through the frame at all - without removing any material from the frame. I used 2" OD (Outside diameter) and it fits through fine. I always do my own exhausts - it's fairly easy. Just make sure to match each component, for example if you use 2" OD pipe make sure the muffler has 2" ID openings - then it just slides together and can be held in place with clamps. I also make my own mounts by drilling a hole in the base of a standard exhaust clamp, put a hex head bolt through it, then bolt it to a piece of 1x1/8th inch metal stapping (flat metal rod available at lowes) with holes drilled in it for the clamp bolt and the bolts to hold it to the stock mounting points on the frame. A little bit of rubber sandwiched between the strapping and the frame isolates any vibrations. I put my muffler behind the x-member rather than under the seat - more room there so a wider choice of mufflers, and not so hot right under the driver. I also use flex pipe to make my own axle hoop - although I go under the axle rather than over it - straighter shot, less bending. Flex pipe can be hard to find as most of the autoparts stores around here only stock this really convoluted type that doesn't look like it would flow very well - I'm not talking about the braided stuff like the flex pipe up at the header - It's stiffer than that so that it can make long runs. Try an exhaust shop for smoother walled flex pipe or have them bend you a hoop - the flex pipe allows you to be a little less precise.