Rota RB wheels --- Again?

Tires and rims is always coming up. Discuss these item here!

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

Unholy
Roadster Fanatic

Rota RB wheels --- Again?

Post by Unholy »

Ok so, Ive spent a few hours looking at the posts regarding wheel sizes and spacers and wheel gap and OMG my head is spinning now. :smt021

Instead of hijacking someone elses thread, I desided to just ask the not so simple question once again.

I bought some Rota RB' 16x7 +10 in Hyper Black. The look fantastic (eye candy attached), and I know I might have issues with the caps, but who the heck can tell me what size tires will work on these? My car is running 195/70/14's now.. putting those numbers into a tire calculator I can basicly run something like 215/50/16 without changing ratios much. But will they fit? Whats the offset of the standard steel wheel? Can I really use that for comparison?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pebbles
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Re: Rota RB wheels --- Again?

Post by pebbles »

205 40 16, maybe? big maybe, +10 may rub the outer fenderwell in the rear. If you lower the car you may have even more issues. There are many "tire and wheel discussions" here.
I really like the hyper black and hyper chrome/silver.
Bolt one on and set it on some wood blocks and check your clearance. Do you want to keep the stock fenders or are you planning on massaging them?
David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."
Alvin
Roadster Nut-Site Supporter

Post by Alvin »

Go here, 2nd page of the thread:
http://www.311s.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... b&start=15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
16x7 +12
on 195/60/15 tires

1) the +10 offset puts you even closer to the fenders
2) 215/50/16 is MUCH larger than 195/50/16

Are you planning on running stock, untouched fenders?
If so, the rears won't fit. The fronts will clear, but you will into issues if lowering or running large tires

You can run a lower profile tire, 205/45/16, or smaller.
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
Unholy
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Unholy »

Wait... i didnt buy any lugs? Doh!

I measured the entire space from the inner fender to the outter fender and its just over 10 inches. So I dont think that will be an issue for overall width. I wasnt planning on changing the rear wheel openings (like flares), but I guess I wouldnt be opposed to rolling the edge at all. Im thinking if i could just find out what the offset is on the standard steel wheels, I could use that and the mesurement of the existing clearance to figure out how wide i can go. As it is I can barely get my fingers between the tire and the body. I took some pictures but they dont really show the relationship well.
zippy67roadster
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by zippy67roadster »

Unholy wrote:Wait... i didnt buy any lugs? Doh!

I measured the entire space from the inner fender to the outer fender and its just over 10 inches. So I dont think that will be an issue for overall width. I wasn't planning on changing the rear wheel openings (like flares), but I guess I wouldnt be opposed to rolling the edge at all. I'm thinking if i could just find out what the offset is on the standard steel wheels, I could use that and the measurement of the existing clearance to figure out how wide i can go. As it is I can barely get my fingers between the tire and the body. I took some pictures but they dont really show the relationship well.
The optimum offset is a +15. I have the Rota's in the silver and have them in a 15X7 +12 and they are very close in the rear. Remember measure the space between the leaf spring and the wheel well as the tire will rub on either depending on if you get too high an offset or too low. The +10 will rub a stock rear wheel well so you will have to roll the lip. If you do roll the rears you should be able to fit 205/50 tops. I have a 195/50 on mine and they are a tight fit.
1967 Datsun SPL311-08935-vintage race car
1967 Datsun SPL311-10123 project
1967 Datsun 411 wagon
67.5 SPL311 Vintage Race car project
64 NL320 Pickup Truck
Brian
http://www.sincitydatsuns.com
https://www.facebook.com/sincitydatsuns
Alvin

Post by Alvin »

Unholy wrote:. As it is I can barely get my fingers between the tire and the body. I took some pictures but they dont really show the relationship well.
are you talking about the rear stock wheel/tire setup?

send me the pictures and I can post:
alvingogi at gmail.com
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Post by fj20spl311 »

I have VTO 15x7 12mm with 205/50 x 15 Had to roll the fenders in the back. (my car has had "repair" in the back, so they might fit a "stock" roadster, but I don't think they will fit.

I would use 195/45 x 16 There are not that many brands available but you can get YokohamaS.drive(Ultra High Performance Summer)
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
Unholy
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Unholy »

Alvin wrote:
Unholy wrote:. As it is I can barely get my fingers between the tire and the body. I took some pictures but they dont really show the relationship well.
are you talking about the rear stock wheel/tire setup?

send me the pictures and I can post:
alvingogi at gmail.com

Yes, I was trying to estimate based on my stock wheels with 195/70/14s. Pretty danm close already. Hope these pics detail that good enough.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alvin

Post by Alvin »

proof that every roadster is different!
195/70/14s are beefy tires

jack it up, mount the new wheel and mock up a tire that is the same width(or less) as current, will it clear?
take some pics!
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
aclever1
Roadster Fanatic

Post by aclever1 »

All my fenders were differrent, I measered to fit with a +7 fit on one side but the other side needed a +12. Also for a 16x7 i wouldn't do a tire that wide, i'd do a 195 or a 185 and just adjust the side wall to get the right diameter.
Unholy
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Unholy »

Related but unrelated... with aftermarket wheels like these, do you need to replace the studs (longer or shorter) and what type of lugs are required?
Alvin

Post by Alvin »

you don't need to, but again to find out all you have to do is mount the new wheel on and see how many turns the nut can thread on safely
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
pebbles

Post by pebbles »

7/16" of stud protrusion, about 9 threads. MINIMUM
David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."
Unholy
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Unholy »

pebbles wrote:7/16" of stud protrusion, about 9 threads. MINIMUM

Thanks!
Kevin Desirello
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Kevin Desirello »

Thinking of putting the same wheels on my wifes 1500.
Any clue what the offsets would be. I'm sure that i will have to go to a narrower wheel in front.
Kevin
http://www.krdroadsters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.facebook.com/KrdKevinsRestorableDatsuns" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
68 2L 01727 SR20DE
68 2L 01731 stock
67.5 2L 491 stock solex
64 1500 02104C SR20DE
63 Wagon SR20DE S14 auto