What Happened to Victor's Roadster

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

rp975
Site Supporter

What Happened to Victor's Roadster

Post by rp975 »

Well I thought I should start reporting what I have been up to with my new toy.

The roadster has been here for a few weeks now and I have been looking through a few different areas checking things out before I go for registration.

I have fitted some amber taillights because we use this in Australia.

I have purchased a wiring harness from the US to replace the current one as it has a few shorts and the mystical smoke is being let out of the current (pun) wires.

I have found that the wiper motor has four bolts, I thought that it had two which had fallen out over the years, but seeing a picture of one on ebay I see they have four. I will be buying some bolts and possibly use some loctite to use to keep them where they should be.

I found that my winning number token was in the ashtray which was a really nice touch, thanks.

Today I spent most of the day pulling apart the front suspension on the drivers side, I know I am a bit slow, these roadsters take some getting used to, I took my time to see how things work under there, very messy job.
I have been replacing the rubber boots that have disappeared over time, I was concerned that the ball joints maybe worn out because of it but they seem fine, while I had the springs out I put some urethane tops on the springs, they were a slightly different diameter to the springs but would be fine once under compression, so to keep them in the right place during assembly I used some electrical tape tying them to the spring in four places, it will probably work its way out over time.

The top wishbone seemed to have some slop in it, I was a bit concerned as I thought that the bushes may need replacing but after close inspection I noticed that the two bolts that hold the top spindle to the frame were loose, I tightened them and used some loctite and then there wasn't any slop, wonderful!

I put new urethane boots on the ball joints and steering joints on the drivers side so far.

I am getting used to the inch sizes in bolts and spanners, I have to read and check the sizes all the time as I am used to using metric for my Zcar.

I have purchased some SSR three piece wheels from Japan to go on soon after they are powder coated and polished.

I also got a pair of fender mirrors to go on soon as well.

In the engine bay I have set the plug gaps, the timing and the valves and done a compression test.

The results are (1)170 (2)180 (3)175 (4)165

I have machined the chokes in the Mikuni's out to 35.5mm as I wanted a compromise between the 34 and 37mm sizes.

I have been getting help from the guys in the DSOA nsw from both Syd and Barry C, Also Lou Mondello and David Premo in the States, Thank you guys for all your help.

Rob :D
1970 Roadster SRL311

1974 260Z VQ30det

1998 W210 E55 AMG
Dave_Pa
Site Supporter

Re: What Happened to Victor's Roadster

Post by Dave_Pa »

Awesome to hear Rob! I was worried we'd never hear anymore about the car. please keep us updated with lots and lots of pics.

Dave
--Dave
67.5 1600 originally Sora Blue, now Yellow...
1972 BMW 2002 Colorado. (the color, not the state)
1999 BMW 318ti (daily driver for most of the year)
1989 BMW 325ix (the best winter sled and the first BMW I ever drove).
2004 BMW X5...happy wife...
FergO2k
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by FergO2k »

Cool!
them ball joint boots deteriorate quick with our sticky, smoggy air. The joints will be fine.
The a-arm to frame botls usually have a bend-over-clip to make SURE they don't come loose. pretty important to trust to Loctite, but use your experience as your guide, not saying you are doing it wrong.
Glad to hear all is going well, a "spirited shakedown" is deifintely in order, and in keeping with its lively past.
Fergus O
69 2L, SUs (driver, not susceptible to polish)
02 Tacoma 4 door (sold at 300k miles!)
2017 Honda Ridgeline (2021 purchase)
Los Alamitos, CA
rp975
Site Supporter

Post by rp975 »

The tabs must be hard to get at, what do you think about longer bolts with lock nuts? :?:
1970 Roadster SRL311

1974 260Z VQ30det

1998 W210 E55 AMG
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Post by notoptoy »

Thanks for posting, we want to see more!
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
pebbles

Post by pebbles »

rp975 wrote:The tabs must be hard to get at, what do you think about longer bolts with lock nuts? :?:

I used a lock washer under the head.

How does alignment look? Hopefully you have not lost a shim or two.
David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."
rp975
Site Supporter

Post by rp975 »

OK here are some pics to start off with, I will post more as it goes along.

1970 Roadster SRL311

1974 260Z VQ30det

1998 W210 E55 AMG
rp975
Site Supporter

Post by rp975 »

Are the shims a "U" shape? There was not a lot of slop so I am hoping I have not lost one. I have yet to look at the passengers side though.
1970 Roadster SRL311

1974 260Z VQ30det

1998 W210 E55 AMG
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

Do the bolts just come out and then you replace with longer ones or do you have to jack up the suspension?
Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Post by fj20spl311 »

rp975 wrote:The tabs must be hard to get at, what do you think about longer bolts with lock nuts? :?:
Its normal to use longer grade 8 bolts and "double nuts" when adding enough spacers to get to Race specs.

I think you can use washers as spacers....takes a lot more time to set the front, but they don't fall out.

Phil
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
pebbles

Post by pebbles »

rp975 wrote:Are the shims a "U" shape? There was not a lot of slop so I am hoping I have not lost one. I have yet to look at the passengers side though.

My 69 was a bit of a mixed bag, some crescent, some round. I reinstalled as removed.
this is the pass side, the driver side has 6 total. As a safety measure, I reinstalled longer bolts on the driver side for 3 thread protrusion, common to the block plate. Previously the OG bolts were flush.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."
rp975
Site Supporter

Post by rp975 »

Thanks for the great picture David, tonight I removed one bolt and tomorrow I will buy some longer ones with washers and nylock nuts, the shims appear to be in there still they look to be the round washer type. There weren't any tabs to bend over the bolt head, just a star washer.
1970 Roadster SRL311

1974 260Z VQ30det

1998 W210 E55 AMG
FergO2k

Post by FergO2k »

Notice how David "torque striped" the nuts, so you can tell at a glance if they have moved.
Great oic, BTW.
The roadster looks at home in that garage.
Fergus O
69 2L, SUs (driver, not susceptible to polish)
02 Tacoma 4 door (sold at 300k miles!)
2017 Honda Ridgeline (2021 purchase)
Los Alamitos, CA
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

i think it's great that you are carrying on Vic's appreciation of rare JDM wheels
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
rp975
Site Supporter

Post by rp975 »

Fergus, Thanks, It is my own Datsun Dream Garage.

This morning I went and bought new bolts for the upper wishbone plus nuts and washers, I will assemble with the paint as well to show if they move.

I also bought new bolts for the lower ball joints as they were a bit dodgy.

Alvin, Thanks I thought that I should look into the same brand thaty Vic liked, it took a little while to get some but I think they will look good.
I tried 5 different paint colours to see what I liked. I have gone for a metalic brown-bronze colour. Now to see if I can find a match in powdercoat.

Yesterday I recieved a jack base and wheel holder from one of the club members here.

Rob
1970 Roadster SRL311

1974 260Z VQ30det

1998 W210 E55 AMG