Alternator Alternatives

Tech tips and how to's

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

DaRoaster
Roadster Fanatic

Alternator Alternatives

Post by DaRoaster »

I did a GM 1-wire alternator conversion on my 1600. It has been working properly; however, it is so large that it sits right in front of the outlet for the water pump (or is it an inlet). The hose rests against the bracket for the alternator. This isn't an issue on the 2000s because there is enough room to route hose around the bracket and alternator. Here's the question:
Can anyone recommend a smaller alternator with a high output like the GM. It also ought to have the correct pulley, not one for a serpentine belt.
Dennis
1970 1600
shifty
Roadster Enthusiast

Re: Alternator Alternatives

Post by shifty »

I'm planning on hunting through the boneyards. Likely candidates are Mazda and Ford small pickups from the 80's. Perhaps later 310/510s or 70's Honda?
Leigh Brooks

http://www.shiftco.com - my blog about cars (and stuff)
Latest post: http://www.shiftco.com/radios/the-test-mule/

67.5 SRL-00139 sleeping
67.5 SPL-11481 suspended animation
67.5 SPL-12961 snoring
67.5 SPL-13622 - H20 PWR!
greydog
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by greydog »

How about this one?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PWM-8-881/?rtype=7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dan
SPL311 aka Skooter. Sold. Now wasting away in the SF area.
1990 Nissan 300zx. Sold this one too.
2018 VW Tiguan
Daryl Smith
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by Daryl Smith »

Some very good information and suggestions in this thread:
http://311s.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f= ... alternator" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Swapping the serpentine pulley for a V-belt pulley shouldn't be that hard to do. I did it on the CS-130 GM alternator I used, and can't imagine that you couldn't find a v-belt pulley to fit just about any other alternator, including the small Justy alt.

While I have no problems with the CS-130, going to a smaller/lighter alternator (as long as power output is adequate) is always good for performance. Dropping weight is the same as adding horsepower.
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Post by fj20spl311 »

Daryl Smith wrote:smaller/lighter alternator (as long as power output is adequate) is always good for performance. Dropping weight is the same as adding horsepower.
IMHO, the draw on the engine from an alt. is proportional to the output and not the weight. Less weight does help, but not as much as less draw.

Maybe I should have skipped lunch.......
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
Daryl Smith

Post by Daryl Smith »

"IMHO, the draw on the engine from an alt. is proportional to the output and not the weight. Less weight does help, but not as much as less draw."

Absolutely! But, given the same draw, whichever alternator is used, a lighter alternator will let you accelerate a tiny bit faster, or save you a tiny bit of gas.

Take that thru the car with a lighter battery, compact spare, monoleaf springs. etc., etc., and the small weight savings here and there can add up to a noticeable difference. An electric fan takes load off the engine, and drops weight...bonus savings!
DEUCE

Post by DEUCE »

Just another idea/option: Ours is positioned on passenger/battery side and it is gm one wire......Peace
gboone
Model: 2000

Post by gboone »

Daryl Smith wrote:An electric fan takes load off the engine, and drops weight...bonus savings!

An electric fan does take load off the engine on one hand, but it adds load to the alternator on the other hand. I did an experiment on the dyno. Did a run with electric fan turned off, then the next run (with no other changes) with the fan running, and the running fan cost me 5 horsepower.
Gary Boone
1970 SRL311
S15 SR20DET w/6 speed swap in progress
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Post by fj20spl311 »

gboone wrote:
Daryl Smith wrote:An electric fan takes load off the engine, and drops weight...bonus savings!
An electric fan does take load off the engine on one hand, but it adds load to the alternator on the other hand. I did an experiment on the dyno. Did a run with electric fan turned off, then the next run (with no other changes) with the fan running, and the running fan cost me 5 horsepower.
Hook the relay to your brake light switch and add a bypass switch to your thermo switch.

Alternator braking!!!!
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
tjp
Site Supporter

Post by tjp »

[quote="greydog"]How about this one?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PWM-8-881/?rtype=7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For $351 + shipping? I think I'll pass. :smt088
My junk pile:
71 Jeep Gladiator. Restored w/#s matching engine. My WeeBeasty
70 1600 legit 2nd owner. Stroked and bored
Several salvaged w access to a barn full of parts, part cars & whole cars
......What's in the barn is for sale. What do you need?
Daryl Smith

Post by Daryl Smith »

I was going to add " when it's not running" to the above post......

Fortunately, an electric fan doesn't run constantly like the water pump mounted fan, and from most accounts the water pump mounted fan costs you about 5 hp 100% of the time. (when the electric fan is running you still have the weight savings.....)

Was that 5 hp accross the rpm range (expected) or just 5 peak hp?

"For $351 + shipping? I think I'll pass. :smt088 "
That looks like the CS-130 that I got (different ear configuration) from the wreckers for $25 plus $2 for a v belt pulley from another alternator......... The smaller Justy or other alternators would be the same price.
Has anyone tried mounting the small justy alt. to an R16 or U20?
gboone
Model: 2000

Post by gboone »

Daryl Smith wrote:I was going to add " when it's not running" to the above post......

Fortunately, an electric fan doesn't run constantly like the water pump mounted fan, and from most accounts the water pump mounted fan costs you about 5 hp 100% of the time. (when the electric fan is running you still have the weight savings.....)

Was that 5 hp accross the rpm range (expected) or just 5 peak hp?
I didn't get a printout for every run for that session and don't recall. My guess is peak hp.
Gary Boone
1970 SRL311
S15 SR20DET w/6 speed swap in progress
greydog

Post by greydog »

tputland wrote:
greydog wrote:How about this one?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PWM-8-881/?rtype=7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For $351 + shipping? I think I'll pass. :smt088

Yikes :shock: !!! That'll teach me to look at the price.
Dan
SPL311 aka Skooter. Sold. Now wasting away in the SF area.
1990 Nissan 300zx. Sold this one too.
2018 VW Tiguan
Lee2000
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Lee2000 »

If it takes 5 hp to run the (constant RPM) fan, then that 5 hp would be "drained" from the engine anytime the fan is running, regardless of engine speed. However, it is entirely possible the alternator would not produce that much power at lower engine speeds so the battery would be supplying the shortfall. But the alt. would still have to "make-up" for the energy drain from the battery for some time after the fan has stopped. Ya gotta put the juice back into the system. Fan clutches were invented to reduce engine load when a fan was not needed, and to reduce noise as well.

I went with a three wire GM alt on my 2000, mounted on the pass side, using home-made bracketry. The sensing wire option was the reason for the choice of the 3-wire over the 1-wire. Worth considering.
DEUCE

Post by DEUCE »

Lee2000 wrote:I went with a three wire GM alt on my 2000, mounted on the pass side, using home-made bracketry. The sensing wire option was the reason for the choice of the 3-wire over the 1-wire. Worth considering.
Please briefly elaborate, thank you......