Pertronix, wheels, tonneau questions

General topics.

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

bellaroxio
Roadster Newby

Pertronix, wheels, tonneau questions

Post by bellaroxio »

Spent (2) hours yesterday installing the vinyl soft top. It does not have the zippered rear. But it came in a box with the car.
1) With the British counterpart, I ran Pertronix. I had problems with Pertronix due to bad coil until I installed an MSD. It is advisable to go this route with the 67 1600? That is about a $600 combo that I can save toward wheels....
2) Since both the boot cover and tonneau can't be used at the same time, which one would you install? On the british counterpart, using the tonneau and boot cover was such a hassle that I used neither. The car came with both. How many of you actually use the tonneau? How long does it take from top down to tonneau installed?
3) My original wheels will take about (4) months to return. This is a best-friend-of-father-in-law deal so I can't make a big deal out of it. Since it takes so long, my wife "authorized" a wheel purchase. I have search and see different size and options. What is the best wheel size and offset? I am thinking of a VTO 8 or Panasports. If offset is an issue, I have multiple wheel spacers.
Thanks for your input/help.
notoptoy
Vendor-Site Supporter

Re: Pertronix, wheels, tonneau questions

Post by notoptoy »

First, welcome to the forum!
Please post some pictures of your ride, and add your location to your profile.

$600 is very expensive for a Pertronix/msd setup, I know of some EI options for much less than that ;-)
On boot/tonneau - I don't use either, but have picked up the booot cover and may start, I like the look, and never use the top anyway.
There are DOZENS of threads and piles of information on wheel sizes and choices - check the Tech wiki ("Tech" top right corner of every page) and spend a little time using the search function above.
Again, Welcome!
"When all else fails, force prevails!" Ummm, we're gonna need a bigger hammer here.

67.5 SPL311 H20 w/5 speed
65 Impala Convertible
2017 C43 AMG
datsun65
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

Post by datsun65 »

Rather than a $600 MSD/Petronix combo, I'd recommend:

http://eastcoastroadster.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The boot looks nice, but it is not required. I rarely have seen a tonneau cover actually being used anymore.

For wheels, there are many choices available. You may wish to check out on of the Datsun Roadster vendors that carry the Panasport rims (15x6 +15) which may be a good fit depending on which model roadster you have and any modifications that have been done over the years.
Dan
Houston, TX
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP
Model: 1500/1600
Year: High Windshield-68-70

Post by Linda »

Welcome.
I never use the boot, I use the tonneau. Great for summer in Los Angeles. I have the top on the car but usually put it down even in winter here unless it is raining.

There is a wheel thread here somwhere which shows some nice pics

I would like to use an MSD box, I already have a EI dizzy i bought from Gary Boone. From what I understand it is a step up. You don't have to pay that much for a Petronix/MSD.

We look forward to some pics of your car, hope you enjoy the forum

Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
fj20spl311
Roadsteraholic

Post by fj20spl311 »

I would use either EI dizzy or better yet, convert to distributor-less crank fire.

Linda,
If you would like, I have a 6L MSD you can "try" to see if it makes any difference.
I don't think it will make much of a difference because you already have a Electronic Distributor, but I have always used them for the last 20 years. I could bring it to the BBQ next week.

Phil
Phil
67.5 SRL311-00148 Blue (FJ cruiser VOODOO Blue)
67.5 SPL311 FJ20E teal SDS EFI
69 SRL311 SOLD
19 Raptor SCAB
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

Phil,
I'd go for that, thanks.I have the MSD coil and wires already. See you at the BBQ.
I was told that although the EI is an expensive way to fire the MSD, it is still an improvement. By "burning all the fuel", if I remember corrrectly. Anyone with more knowledge please add.

Linda
Sadly-Linda has passed away 2022. She was the 311's den mother and drove the first Rare-Parts ball joint project. RIP.
bikermike
Site Supporter

Post by bikermike »

Pertronix
I have run Pertronix on a '67.5 1600 for a few months without issues, but my stock dizzy was in good shape. Search past threads and the techwiki for info to help you decide on the route to take. If your distributor is suspect, the East Coast Roadster conversion is a proven way to go.

The Pertronix #1741 conversion kit can be found for $60. I am running it with their 3 ohm coil without a ballast resistor. I think your wiring is similar so you can do the same - or use a 1.5 ohm coil with the resistor. Follow their setup instructions.

http://www.streetsideauto.com/c/ignitio ... sun-4-cyl/
A coil adds another $35. (The 3 ohm is part number 40511)

Tonneau / Boot
I have both. I use both or sometimes none. It takes longer to lower the top than to snap either in place. The fastest is to remove the whole top. I'd say 3 -5 mins for top down to tonneau or boot in place.

The boot gives a nice finished look if I want to have the top with me. For example if I'll be getting home late and it will cool down.

I use the tonneau if I plan to be parked for a bit and want to keep leaves out and protect the interior from sun, say if I take the car to work. It's good to have if you don't run with the top or don't want the hassle of raising it and lowering the top when you park.
Last edited by bikermike on Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Mike
1967.5 SPL311
1972 240z / L28
2003 BMW 525i Touring
2014 Jeep KL
dbrick
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by dbrick »

Agree with Mike, Go with the East Coast if you want the one part solution. I used to be the builder, Tom does a great job now. The thing many people don't realize is how bad and screwed up their distributor is on the inside, such as flopping-around-broken, sticky or totally inoperative advance mechanisms. The Pertronix assumes all this is working, which it may not be. MSD may not help noticeably, never hurts.

As far as wheels and tires, depending on where you are, there may be someone who has a set. Also, this week, PepBoys has a sale on Falken 185/60-14 for $68.00, nice deal.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
Linda
Fraternal Den Mother-RIP

Post by Linda »

More info on the MSD in this thread
http://www.311s.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... =MSD+model" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Linda
dbrick

Post by dbrick »

I'm thinking of trying it just to see if there is a difference. Have a 6a and a 5, may as well play around.

Dave Brisco

Take my advice, I'm not using it"

66 2000 The Bobster
64 1500 in pieces for sale
1980 Fiat X1/9
2009 Volvo C-70
08 Expedition EL, STUPID huge but comfy
1962 Thompson Sea Lancer, possible money pit
Alvin
Roadsteraholic

Post by Alvin »

almost every wheel imaginable(in addition to Panasports, VTO and other mini-lite styles) can be found here:
http://www.311s.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=5787" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pansport "FS" model or currently called Panasport "Z"
15x6, +15mm
195/55/15 or 195/50/15 tire

14x6, +15mm
195/60/14

both are pictured in thread
Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
1967.5 SPL/SR20
1997 Acura Integra GS-R
2022 Chevy Bolt EUV
zcarblog.com
Instagram
YouTube
My SR20 Build Thread
mraitch
Roadsteraholic

Post by mraitch »

Tonneau, Tonneau, Tonneau - unless it is seriously raniing or seriously hot. The top is protected - it looks cool and you have somewhere to store stuff (not actually but as a minor deterrent) - Make sure that the little snaps on the door are "nutted" (since they are typically only threaded in to the door metal and thus open to stress)
Peter Harrison
1970 1600 (Stroker) - TOAD SAN (Eliza)
1970 1600 (Stock) - As Yet Unnamed
Lake Balboa (SFV) , California
zippy67roadster

Post by zippy67roadster »

I use a boot on my 67 and it seems to finish the look of the car, plus the top doesn't bounce up and down. Takes more time to put the top down then to put the boot on.

I first used the pertronix with the stock distributor but had problems burning out coils! I finally switched to the Eastcoast Roadsters EI and I haven't had a problem since.
1967 Datsun SPL311-08935-vintage race car
1967 Datsun SPL311-10123 project
1967 Datsun 411 wagon
67.5 SPL311 Vintage Race car project
64 NL320 Pickup Truck
Brian
http://www.sincitydatsuns.com
https://www.facebook.com/sincitydatsuns
jamesw
Roadsteraholic

Post by jamesw »

I highly recommend a boot. It makes the car look GREAT, keeps the latches from banging around, and you get more room on your package shelf for your guns and stuff...

Cheers
James
SRL311-00275
'96 Porsche 993 C4
2001 Excursion 7.3l
68DSU

Post by 68DSU »

I've never used my soft top. Tonneau until the hardtop goes on. If it was a bit cold on the morning commute, I would only unzip the driver's side. Ditto on the visual deterrent to theft from the package shelf and while parked in the sun it keeps the wheel and the seat somewhat cool.
They say a true convertible owner gets wet twice a year.
In the spring when the top comes off too early and in the fall when it stays off too long.
Rick
Constantly working on the Datsun whenever I get around to it.

1968 SPL 311
1987 Toyota MR2 T-top (don't hate, wife's car)
2014 Ford Mustang convertible
SPF 50