KA24E Engine Swap 68 1600

Discuss engine swap details here!

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

toolsnob

KA24E Engine Swap 68 1600

Post by toolsnob »

Hi all,

I am almost done with the KA24E swap in a 68. I have been driving it all day and am quite happy with how it came out. Lots of low end power and pretty spirited when compared to a stock U20. The car has a 3.9 rear and I would swap to a 3.7 to take advantage of the engines torque at a higher speed. Reliable and smooth. This car is Kevin Reid's out of Galt. He wanted something reliable with some power and this worked out well. He bought the whole drivetrain for less than $50! I installed all new gaskets, clutch, timing front end and various items.

I plan on installing a SR20DET in my personal car as I have a need for speed! But this was an economical and reliable transplant.

Alexi
alfred183

Post by alfred183 »

with a KA, I would really bump the final drive up to 4.08 which is the stock for 240sx. sure it makes some torque, but it will never ever compare to turbo torque.

If anything, it easier to play with the gearing by getting different diameter tires. that will make a bigger difference than any final drive swap. My new 240sx has a 4.363 and is running 205/50/15 ;)

by the way, with KAs, beware of the timing chain (death) rattle. haven't met a KA that didn't have it.
toolsnob

KA

Post by toolsnob »

already replaced the whole timing front end. I think a higher 3.7 would make better use of the power band given the stock car had the 4.08 or so and was a good 900 lbs heavier car.
alfred183

Post by alfred183 »

Good deal. Did you get new guides for the tensioner too or just leave those out? i believe they're plastic in the KA24E and a lot of people just leave them out since they are what cause most of the trouble.

The 3.7 would probably give you better gas mileage~ I always thought that the gearing changing that little would only really affect the speed at certain RPMs...not sure a KA24E with about 130ft-lbs of toque really needs lower gearing, but that's just me. And they do have a bit of torque down low, but you really need gearing around 5,000rpm, where the torque just falls flat. I put a 3.92 in my 240 and it lost a bit of acceleration...

btw, 240sx are about 2600-2700lbs, and I think the KA is close in weight to the U20. Not sure about it being 900lbs heavier than a Roadster. Do you have traction problems?
nomadtrash
Roadster Fanatic

Post by nomadtrash »

I've got a KA24E oil pan from a truck for sale for $50. It is a rear sump pan that makes install and removal much easier. It eliminates interference from the front cross member. All you will need is the longer oil pickup tube from the truck to make this work on your motor.

Andy
Andy Cost
Roadster-less

Bolt on modification? I did use some bolts!
toolsnob

oil pan

Post by toolsnob »

I didn't have any clearance issues with the front member so I used the front sump.

Alexi
steve68

Post by steve68 »

pics????? those things are cheap around here

steve
S Allen
Site Admin
Model: 1500/1600
Year: Low Windshield-64-67.5

RE:Pics of KA24E Swap

Post by S Allen »

Alexi sent me some pictures of the KA24E swap is is doing into a 68 roadster. Here they are:

Enjoy!!

Steve
66 Stroker-Going Orange
67 SRL311-00279-resto project
Stock '72 240Z-Blue
2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 2WD Hauler
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2009 Smart ForTwo Passion Coupe
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
datsun65
Roadsteraholic
Model: 2000

Post by datsun65 »

Alexi...Nice Job on the conversion...

I swear ...all the SR & KA conversions done on Roadsters in the past 12 months have me itching for a new drivetrain in my 66 1600.

Again...Nice Job!
Dan
Houston, TX
ppeters914
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter
Model: 1500/1600

Post by ppeters914 »

Might be psychic emanations/subliminal messages from Alvin's old wheels. :P
Last edited by ppeters914 on Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pete
-------------------------------------
'67 1600 - frame off started in 2014. Now I know why roadster projects take so long. What a stupid idea. :smt021
'66 1600 - parts car
'66 WPL411 ***SOLD***
A couple of Porsches, a RAV4 Hybrid, and a motorcycle
toolsnob

Swappin

Post by toolsnob »

Dan,

Like I said before, I will swap the car for you. Give me a shout when your ready. You saw how many showed up for your meet. Just get atleast a KA24DE if not a SR20de.

If anyone else is interested in converting their car you can contact me via PM.

Alexi
Datsundude
Roadster Fanatic

Post by Datsundude »

Hey Alexi,
I kind of interested a KA motor swap into my 69 roadster, I am still debating if I should have the stock motor (R16) rebuild and keep it original but on the other hand I want reliability and horse power for daily driver.
Can you give me a rough estimate on how much it cost to have the KA swap into a 69 roadster? Let say if you going to do the swap.

thanks
Ben