TacomaBoy's KA - 5 sp. Trans mount.

Discuss engine swap details here!

Moderators: notoptoy, S Allen, Solex68

TacomaBoy

TacomaBoy's KA - 5 sp. Trans mount.

Post by TacomaBoy »

Excluding dinner, I have 3hrs. in this. It is really a beautiful fit,that uses the stock bolt configuration.
It started as 4X4X1/4'' angle that was cut to fit using the pictured port-a-band. I used 4 or 5 layers of duct tape to create a stick on pattern for the bottom shape and hole location. Works like a champ. In the last picture you can see how the 2'' angle will act as a shelf for the trans to sit on and be bolted to ounce its welded in place. The only sacrafice to the frame was the removal of the frame plate ,only in isolator location. It'll work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TacomaBoy

Re: TacomaBoy's KA - 5 sp. Trans mount.

Post by TacomaBoy »

So this is the finshed product. Bummer, my gas bottle went dry so had to use shielded wire. End result should be more than enough. Enjoy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FergO2k
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by FergO2k »

<< End result should be more than enough. Enjoy. >>

Right on both accounts. That is from the big-and-strong, can't go wrong" school of engineering, and on such a critical piece, while adding Hp, I can't agree more. Save weight elsewhere, this is stout.
Pic #3 threw me off, can't figure out what I am seeing, but nice job, you won't be revisiting this job any time soon.
Fergus O
69 2L, SUs (driver, not susceptible to polish)
02 Tacoma 4 door (sold at 300k miles!)
2017 Honda Ridgeline (2021 purchase)
Los Alamitos, CA
TacomaBoy

Post by TacomaBoy »

Yea. No say'in "Where's the beef" on this one. It does weigh in at a heafty 4 lbs. as compared to the 3 lbs. stocker. Pic #3 is a shot of GR 8 1/2'' Allen button heads used in conjunction with SAE High collar lock washers to anchor the isolator to trans. At right of isolator you can see how the back wall of the trans. mount nestles up to it and leaves about 1/4'' clearence between it and trans. housing.
spl310
Roadster Guru
Location: In front of this keyboard... in Jacksonville, Florida!

Post by spl310 »

What is the purpose of the vertical wall on the mount?
"Wow, a Roadster!" Stuart Little

1967.5 2000
1967.5 2000
1964 1500
1964 1500
1967.5 1600
1968 chassis
2006 Acura MDX
2013 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon
1995 F350 Powerstroke!
More...
inline4
Roadster Fanatic

Post by inline4 »

I honestly have no clue what i'm looking at. is this a bolt on piece or does it require cutting/grinding?
67.5 srl clone
69 ka swap
70 spl
TacomaBoy

Post by TacomaBoy »

As far as an actual purpose,the back wall portion really only add's surface to surface contact with isolator. Even when I had my 1600 and 4 sp. in place with the same isolator,and new eng. mounts,things still seemed to jump around a bit in the drivetrain.I could easily trim it down a bit. I just probably wont. Inlne4,my friend. Your looking at a stock configured trans. mount for KA-5 spd.conversions.
inline4
Roadster Fanatic

Post by inline4 »

wanna make me one too? :o are you notching your crossmember or messing with the oil pan?

I'm gonna try to get the roadster I picked up running in a month's timeframe... before school starts again.
67.5 srl clone
69 ka swap
70 spl
TacomaBoy

Post by TacomaBoy »

No cutting required on the crossmember. Using 1'' masking tape,tape a ring 1/4'' benind the oil drain plug. Cut out that area of tape, at that point you can install the plug area of pan ,shape and weld. I should have taken pic's of that one too. It came out pretty nice as well.
inline4
Roadster Fanatic

Post by inline4 »

TacomaBoy wrote:No cutting required on the crossmember. Using 1'' masking tape,tape a ring 1/4'' benind the oil drain plug. Cut out that area of tape, at that point you can install the plug area of pan ,shape and weld. I should have taken pic's of that one too. It came out pretty nice as well.
can you take a pic of your pan? I'm gonna ask someone to reweld my pan for me.

also, most all of the pictures that I've seen of the KA in the roadster, the driveshaft seems to be sitting at an angle. I thought it was supposed to be straight on.
67.5 srl clone
69 ka swap
70 spl
TacomaBoy

Post by TacomaBoy »

The rearend housing is offset which will throw the driveline askew. Which is fine in my book, From the tail shaft on trans. forward things should be centred. If I remember ,I was something like 22 1/4'' to outside frame rail to tail housing,both sides. And crank balancer is 3 5/16'' each side to frame pads. I've got about 5/8-3/4'' between pulley and crossmember. Bad shot of oil pan. I'll get one up tomorrow.
inline4
Roadster Fanatic

Post by inline4 »

thanks. I'm gonna have the car towed here as soon as I clear garage space. gonna try and get the R16 out asap, and have the KA test fitted, then engine bay cleaned up asap.
67.5 srl clone
69 ka swap
70 spl
311 junkie

Post by 311 junkie »

Nice T mount, keep up the nice work.
pebbles
Roadster Fanatic-Site Supporter

Post by pebbles »

I have read that if the front engine pulley and th differential flange are within 5 degrees of perpendicular, offset is no problem. I set mine up within 1 degree rebound, 0 at full compression.(rear axle).
David

"When we were standing next to the motor while on the dyno, and the motor hit VVL, eyes went watery.."
coach
Roadster Newby

Post by coach »

I am trying to find a way to mount my trans. Your bracket looks like a great idea!
What mount did you use. It looks like a single bolt coming through the mount.

Thanks, Dan